John-Paul is a probational tenant in Chambers and is establishing a busy County Court and High Court practice. He completed his pupillage at 11 South Square, focusing on intellectual property and commercial chancery matters. Before pupillage, John-Paul studied for the Bar while working as a paralegal in Cartels, at the Competition and Markets Authority. He has also studied the history of political thought, specifically the thirteenth century digest of English law known as Bracton. He did this while maintaining busy practices as an academic tutor and freelance copywriter. Before embarking on his studies, he was an outdoor instructor in Snowdonia, Wales.
Propertymark v Syed Shah
John-Paul appeared as sole counsel for the successful Claimant in a fast track trial of a contractual debt claim. John-Paul won on all issues and obtained more than three times the amount of fixed costs normally permitted in the fast track.
Mark Enright The Landscape Gardener Company Limited v Iain Roache
John-Paul appeared for the successful Defendant in a small claims trial at the Central London County Court. The case concerned a contractual dispute between the Defendant and his gardener. John-Paul had the claim struck out.
Selected Cases from Pupillage
Kelly-Marie Smith v Kesi Dryden & Ors  EWHC 2277 (IPEC)
John-Paul assisted the Claimant in the PTR and trial of their copyright action, particularly with respect of the expert musicologist evidence.
Gentil Sayre Ltd v Supplies for Candles Ltd
John-Paul assisted the Defendant in successfully resisting an application for contempt and committal, following a compromised High Court trade mark infringement action.
Claire Stone v Alexandra Wenman  EWHC 2546 (IPEC)
John-Paul assisted in the settling of evidence for the ultimately successful Defendant in this trade mark action.
Facebook Ireland Limited v Voxer IP LLC  EWHC 1377 (Pat)
John-Paul assisted the Defendants in the trial of their patent’s validity and infringement, in relation to Facebook’s instant messaging service.
Original Beauty Technology & ors v Oh Polly & Ors  EWHC 294 (Ch)
John-Paul assisted in the Defendants’ case from trial through to the damages inquiry. The Defendants successfully resisted the Claimants’ passing off claim and a number of design right claims.
- BA in International Relations, Queen Mary, University of London (First Class, second in year group)
- MA in History of Political Thought and Intellectual History (Distinction)
- GDL, University of Law, London
- BPTC with LLM in Legal Practice, University of Law, London (Distinction)
- Princess Royal Scholarship (Inner Temple)
- Major Exhibition Scholarship (Inner Temple)
- GDL award (University of Law)
- BPTC award (University of Law)
- Best Dissertation Award, for paper graded 93% (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Draper’s Company Prize for Outstanding Academic Achievement (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Exemplary Essay (Queen Mary, University of London)
- Sir Henry Brooke Essay Prize (Society for Computers and Law)
- John-Paul is a Senior Writer at IP Harbour, where he has contributed many articles on IP and technology matters.
- Do social network providers require (further) regulation?, Society for Computers and Law, published July 2019.
- Personal Interests
Playing the guitar, rock climbing, mountaineering.