Rupert joined 3 Stone Buildings (now Three Stone) in February 2016.
Since becoming a member of Chambers, Rupert has established a busy practice encompassing traditional and commercial chancery matters, including trusts, probate, property, company and investment fund disputes, fraud and asset tracing and insolvency (both corporate and individual). He has experience of obtaining interlocutory injunctions including freezing relief and injunctions to restrain the presentation of winding up petitions. Rupert appears frequently as a sole advocate in both the High Court and the County Court. Many of his cases have an international element to them.
Prior to joining Chambers, Rupert was a senior associate in the Cayman Islands office of the market-leading offshore firm Appleby. He had full admission to the Cayman Islands Bar from 2010-2016 and appeared in many of the most significant cases in that jurisdiction during that period, including cases in the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal and the Privy Council. He has also appeared in the Oslo City Court in Norway.
Before moving to Appleby, Rupert trained and practised as a litigation solicitor, and subsequently as a solicitor-advocate, with Herbert Smith LLP in London from 2005-2010.
- What the directories say
- RecommendedLegal 500 (Cayman Islands) 2014
- Cases of interest
As a Cayman Islands attorney:
- Ennismore Fund Management Limited v Fenris Consulting Limited [2012(1) CILR 84], [2014(1) CILR 357]  UKPC 9: Advising and appearing as junior counsel (led by Mark Cunningham QC) for Ennismore Fund Management Ltd in relation to a dispute with Fenris Consulting Ltd in proceedings before the Grand Court, the Cayman Islands Court of Appeal and the Judicial Committee of the Privy Council
- In Re WGF Feeder Fund (in Official Liquidation): Acting for the liquidators of a Cayman Islands mutual fund with regard to the liquidation, including conducting the statutory examination of a director in the Oslo City Court in Norway, and advising in relation to the issue of fraud and asset tracing proceedings in Singapore
- In Re Trikona Advisers Limited (in Official Liquidation): Acting for the liquidators of a Cayman Islands holding company, in particular with regard to proceedings involving the company in the United States (Connecticut and New York), England, Mauritius, India and Singapore
- In Re Orchid Developments Limited (in Official Liquidation): Acting for the liquidators of a Cayman Islands company, in particular with regard to the asset sale of its real estate portfolio in continental Europe
- Navarro Wieler and others v HSBC International Trustee Limited and Wieler Velarde: Advising and appearing (with Carlos de Serpa Pimentel) for an institutional trustee in relation to a family trust dispute, in the context of proceedings in the United States and Bolivia, with regard inter alia to forum issues.
- Helmsman Limited and another v Bank of New York Trust Company (Cayman) Limited: Advising (with Robert Ham QC and Carlos de Serpa Pimentel) for two trust companies in relation to an allegation of breach of trust against a predecessor trustee
- In Re Times Property Holdings Limited [2011(1) CILR 223]: Advising and appearing (with Jeremy Walton) for Times Property Holdings Limited in opposing a winding up Petition in proceedings before the Grand Court. The Petition was presented on the basis of an alleged debt of approximately US$445 million, in the context of related proceedings in the British Virgin Islands and Hong Kong
- In Re GFP Dunas Partners Holdings, Inc [2011(1) CILR N10]: Advising and appearing (with James Corbett QC and Graeme Halkerston) for a shareholder of GFP Dunas Partners Holdings, Inc in successfully obtaining a winding-up Order against that company on the just and equitable ground in proceedings before the Grand Court
- Thompson (A.L.) Bldg. Supplies Ltd. v Beazley Underwriting Ltd. and Ors [2011(2) CILR 496]: Advising and appearing (with Jeremy Walton) for the Respondents in successfully defending a claim for an order that an arbitral costs award be set aside in proceedings before the Grand Court
- Advising and appearing as junior counsel (led by Catherine Newman QC) for a Japanese trustee in bankruptcy in relation to a dispute over ownership of units in two unit trusts governed by Cayman Islands law
- Advising and appearing as junior counsel (led by Robert Ham QC on appeal and by Peter McMaster QC at first instance) for a beneficiary in relation to a deceased’s estate in proceedings before the Grand Court and Cayman Islands Court of Appeal
As an English solicitor:
- Advising Chevron Ltd in relation to civil and criminal proceedings relating to the massive explosion and fire at the Buncefield oil depot in Hertfordshire in 2005. The reported decisions include those at  EWCA Civ 180 and  EWHC 540 (Comm)
Chancery Bar Association
BA (first class) University of Durham
- Personal interests
Literature; long distance running; golf; watching rugby, football and cricket.