Laurence is qualified both in England and Wales and the Isle of Man where he sits as a part time Employment Judge and serves as Chairman of several Isle of Man Government Tribunals including the Financial Services Tribunal and Collective Investment Schemes Tribunal. This experience enables him to advise with confidence upon Employment Law, Financial Services, Directors’ Disqualification, Company Law and the law of the Isle of Man.
He is a Fellow of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators and has an international practice. He believes in being pro-active rather than re-active.
He has also advised many local authorities in England and Wales upon land and property matters and has been instructed in major planning appeals.
Laurence believes that Gilbert and Sullivan were correct in stating that “Quiet calm deliberation disentangles every knot” and that thorough preparation and positive legal advice based upon a grasp of the commercial realities can make litigation cost effective.
- Cases of Interest
R v Callister and Others – Electoral Fraud Case Client Acquitted
R v Diamond – Manslaughter
Manchester City Council v Dean – long running adverse Possession Claim
Petition of Windsor Homes – Judicial Review of refusal to grant Planning Permission
- 2017 Port St Mary Commissioner.
- 2017 Isle of Man Independent Prison Adjudicator.
- 2017 Chairperson of the Tourist Premises Appeal Tribunal.
- 2017 Member of the Legal Aid Appeals Tribunal.
- 2016 Returning Officer for Arbory, Castletown and Malew Isle of Man.
- 2016 Commissioner of the Income Tax Commissioners.
- 2016 Chairperson of the Collective Investments Schemes Tribunal.
- 2016 Chairperson of the Financial Services Tribunal.
- 2014/2017 Chairperson of the Flood Risk Management Tribunal.
- 2013 & 2017 Member of the Isle of Man Vat and Duties Tribunal.
- 2014 & 2017 Chairperson of the Care Services Tribunal.
- 2013 & 2016 Chairperson of the Insurance Tribunal & Retirement Benefits Schemes Tribunal.
- 2012 Fellow Chartered Institute of Arbitrators.
- 2011 Returning Officer for Malew and Santon Isle of Man. Page 2 of 4 June 2012
- 2010/2013 Deputy Chairperson Isle of Man Employment Tribunals.
- 2009 Fellow of the Royal Society for the Encouragement of Arts, Manufactures and Commerce.
- 2007 Accredited Mediator trained by Stitt Feld Handy Group of Canada.
- 1999 Called to Manx Bar Advocate Solicitor and Attorney. Notary Public Commissioners for Oaths.
- 1988 Called to English Bar (Lincoln’s Inn) Barrister at Law.
- Lincoln’s Inn,
- Isle of Man Law Society
- Commercial Bar Association
- Institute of Directors
Laurence’s interests include:
- Basset Welfare, “Winston Basset Q.C.” – Laurence’s Basset Hound
- his 1960 Alvis TD21
- flying Tiger Moth Aircraft
- watching Rugby and
- failing to catch fish
University of Rhodesia
University of Buckingham LL.B(Hons)
“We have enjoyed working with Laurence and respect his knowledge of the law and in particular the commercial application thereof. We would highly recommend him”– Watkin Gittins of Montpelier (Trust and Corporate) Services Limited.
“He has given us – and others I know – outstandingly high quality legal and practical advice. He is the best man I know to have in your corner” – Sheila A Bailey FRSA, FINSTD – Commercial Client.
“Over many years Laurence has provided us with a prompt, efficient and competitive service and we would not hesitate to recommend him to any individual or company that requires legal assistance – Geraldine Watterson Chartered MCSI ACoI TEP for Worldwide Corporate Solutions Limited.”
“Laurence is incredibly thorough, commercially minded, and very dynamic. He is very creative in providing practical solutions to his clients. He is a true “master” in planning his case and delivery to the Court. His experience and unbelievable persuasive powers allows Judges to give considerable weight to his calm and very clear and precise presentation and his skill in cross-examination, which has to be seen to be believed” – Charles “Buster” Lewin – Appellant.
“I first worked with Laurence 16 years ago and am still working with him on complex legal matters today. He has an amiable attitude and professionalism that sets him apart from other barristers I have dealt with and I do not hesitate to recommend him to my colleagues” – Mark Pearce BA(hons) DIP Arch RIBA
Director Ellis Brown Architects