Ingrid Detter de Frankopan is a distinguished international jurist and Lindhagen Professor Emeritus having held the Chair of International Law at Stockholm University. She advises on aspects of public and private international law, on the law of the EU, including the right to leave the organization. She is also an expert on French, German and Italian law as well as on the law of all the Scandinavian countries, and on the Law of International Organisations and on the Law of War. She is a Former Fellow of St. Antony’s College and Lady Margaret Hall at Oxford University. She was Adviser to Pope St. John Paul II between 1984 and 2005 and has been Adviser to various Governments during her long and distinguished career in inter-State conflict resolution.
Ingrid Detter was educated at Lyceum, Stockholm, Sweden & Mon Fertile, Morges, Switzerland; and at the Universities of Stockholm, Oxford, Paris and Turin.
Recently she has attended the Human Rights Sessions on the Convention on Discrimination of Women at the United Nations, New York, and advised the Lord Chancellor Michael Gove on legal aspects of Brexit.
Professor Ingrid Detter is an expert in public and private international law; in the law of international organisations and in European Union law; she is a specialist in questions relating to independence, sovereignty, treaties; international contracts; and in various aspects of the law of war.
She has been Counsel in arbitrations and has also been an Arbitrator.
As she is fluent in a number of languages and has qualifications in several countries, she has been granted the right of audience in France, Italy, Germany and in the Scandinavian countries and can advise on the law in these countries.
- Royal Academy of Arts
- International Academy of Astronautics
- Royal Institute of International Affairs
- International Institute of Strategic Studies
- Société française pour le droit international
- International Law Association
- European Space Law Centre
- International Institute of Space Law
Fluent English, French, German, Italian, Croatian and all Scandinavian languages;
Working knowledge of Russian, Spanish, Portugese and Dutch.
- Law Making by International Organizations, (Norstedt), Stockholm, 1965;
- Essays on the Law of Treaties, (Sweet & Maxwell), London 1967;
- The East African Community and the Common Market, (Longman), London, 1970;
- Finance and Protection of Investments in Developing Countries, (Gower), 1974; 2nd ed. 1987;
- International Law and the Independent State, (Gower), 1974; 2nd ed. 1987;
- International Adoptions and the Conflict of Laws, (Almquist & Wiksell), Uppsala, 1975;
- Bibliography of International Law, (Bowker), New York, 1975;
- Ekonomisk integrationsratt, (Almquist & Wiksell), Stockholm, 1976;
- The Concept of International Law, (Norstedt), Stockholm, 1987; 2nd ed. 1995;
- The Law of War, (Cambridge University Press), 1987; 2nd ed. 2000; 3rd ed. in the press;
- International Law for Students, (Jagellonica), Stockholm, 1989;
- International Law, (Jagellonica), Stockholm, 1989;
- Space Law, (forthcoming);
- The International Legal Order, (Gower), London, 2nd ed., 1995;
- ‘Aspects institutionnels de l’Association de Libre Echange (EFTA), Annuaire francais de droit international, 1960;
- ‘Organs of international organizations exercising their treaty making power’, British Yearbook of International Law, 1962;
- ‘The problem of unequal treaties’, International and Comparative Law Quarterly, 1966;
- ‘South West Africa and the dilemma of the International Court’, Newman Yearbook, University of Melbourne, 1966;
- ‘Land-locked States and the Law of the Sea’, Acta Scandinavia Juris Gentium, 1976;
- ‘Super-tankers and international straits’, Festschrift Schmidt, 1976;
- ‘Foreign warships and immunity for espionage’, American Journal of international Law, 1984;
- ‘Submarine espionage: misunderstanding upon misunderstanding’), Svensk juristtidning, 1985;
- ‘Treaties of the modern era’, Oxford World Encyclopedia, Oxford, 1986;
- ‘Legal value of recommendations of international organizations’, University College London Symposium , 1987;
- ‘International Straits and UNCLOS ‘, Ezegodnik mezdunarodnovo pravo, Moscow, 1986;
- ‘What is international law and international relations?’, Journal of International Studies, 1987;
- ‘The human environment: Stockholm and its follow-up’, in Taylor & Groom, Global Issues in the UN Framework, London and New York, 1989;
- ‘Legal issues of privatization in Eastern Europe’, SIRIL Occasional Papers, 1990;
- ‘Implementation of environmental conventions’, SIRIL Occasional Papers, 1990;
- ‘Space satellites and jurisdiction’, Rome Space Symposium‘, 1993;
- ‘ The Effect of Resolutions of International Organizations, Melanges Skubiszewski Krzysztof, ed. Jerzy Makarczyk, Nijhoff 1996;
- ‘Illegal combatants and the Law of War’, Law Journal of George Washington University, 2007;
- ‘Extraordinary rendition’, University of North Carolina Law Journal, 2008;
- ‘New Forms of Sovereignty and the Right to Protect R2P‘, published by St. Thomas More Institute, London, 2011.
and numerous book reviews, minor articles and notes;