Giles is recognised as a robust, thorough advocate. He has a clear grasp of commercial issues and how best to overcome them. He works with his clients, favouring a team approach, particularly when faced with complex issues. With an in-depth understanding of the commercial world, he is adept at keeping his clients informed and aware of any issues that may arise at the earliest opportunity. Giles is a truly commercial litigator in terms of approach to his cases and his clients’ interests and needs. He recognises the importance of achieving his clients’ aims and objectives (whether at trial or through ADR) as quickly and as cost effectively as possible.
Giles is consistently noted as a leader in his field and is highly regarded for his ‘technical knowledge and commercial know-how’. He is Junior Counsel to the Crown (Regional Panel A) and is experienced in dealing with substantial commercial litigation. Over the last 26 years he has appeared at all levels up to and including the Court of Appeal and even in the Supreme Court of the Seychelles and in the Supreme Court of Gibraltar.
His practice has a particular emphasis on civil and corporate fraud, company and contentious insolvency work, professional negligence (claimant and defendant) and banking. His work for the Secretary of State focuses on contentious public interest winding up petitions, including the appointment of provisional liquidators and appropriate injunctive relief, and disqualification applications under the Company Directors Disqualification Act 1986.
In recent years he has successfully completed a number of high profile, high value corporate fraud cases and has successfully acted as the leading Counsel for the Secretary of State in what was then the largest public interest petition brought by Companies Investigations.
Giles has also recently appeared in the Supreme Court of Gibraltar, where he successfully appealed against a decision of a liquidator of a foreign insurance company in order to confirm a substantial proof of debt based on a UK judgment; and has dealt with the high profile insolvency of the Redcar based steel business operated by SSI UK Ltd, now in liquidation.
In addition he has been acting for over 300 claimants in a multi-million pound corporate fraud case in the Cayman Islands arising out of the CWM FX Ponzi scheme scandal.
- “I have worked with Giles for a number of years, and he is my first choice barrister for complex disputes. My clients always warm to him as he displays exceptional attention to detail and superb commercial awareness. On his feet, Giles is an extremely proficient advocate. Surely a QC in waiting?”
Marc Yaffe Head of Commercial Litigation, JMW Solicitors LLP
- “A fantastic advocate. Extremely bright and able to grasp the facts of the case quickly even when technically demanding. Tenacious. Commercially astute. Easy to work with and always impresses the client / business.”
Darren Hill, Head of Claims and Debt Recovery, United Utilities Legal Service
- “I have known and used Giles over the last 10 years on a variety of high value and/or complex commercial disputes, including professional negligence, breach of contract and tort cases, and actions involving fraud. He has an insatiable appetite for work and will leave no stone unturned in his desire to do the best job possible for a client. At the same time, he is very much a team player and adopts a pragmatic, commercial approach to the matter at hand and never loses sight of the client’s stated goal.”
Steve Morris, Commercial Litigation Partner, DWF
- What the directories say
- In addition to his obvious technical ability, he has great commercial awarenessLegal 500 UK 2015
- He is a robust, commercial advocate." "He inspires a lot of confidence through his focus on the case at hand - you know he's on top of absolutely everything.Chambers & Partners UK 2016
- A master tactician.Legal 500 2018
- Highly experienced, good with clients and an excellent advocate.
Hard-working and tenacious.
He has a tenacious and enthusiastic approach to litigation and always impresses the client. He is very much a details man when it comes to preparation and is a pleasure to work with.
He is excellent with clients, manages expectations and is always prepared. He’s a skilled advocate and a good team player.
Chambers and Partners 2019
- Cases of interest
- David Hugh Carr & 16 Ors v Formation Group PLC & 5 Ors EWHC 3116 (Ch)
- McConomy and another v ASE plc EWHC 92 (Ch)
- Turvill v Bird EWCA Civ 703
- SSI UK Ltd v Hewden Stuart Ltd EWHC 2726 (Ch)
- Secretary of State for Business Innovation & Skills v Pawson EWHC 2626 (Ch)
- LSC Finance Ltd v Abensons Law Ltd EWHC 1163 (Ch)
- Overfinch Bespoke Vehicles Ltd (in Liquidation) v Freddie White as Liquidator of Lemma Europe Insurance Company Ltd[13/5/15] Gibraltar
- Secretary of State v Combined Maintenance Services Ltd(2015) LTL 7/1/15
- Qualifications & appointments
Chancery Bar Association
- Personal interests
Rugby Union, F1, FilmLast updated: 22 Nov 2019.